(GoRealNewsNow.com) – NEWS NOW: Ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has confirmed he will not challenge Donald Trump by running for the Republican presidential nomination in 2024.
Pompeo, who had been assembling a team in anticipation of a possible campaign launch, described his choice as “deeply personal” and stated that “the time is just not right.”
“After much thought and continuous prayer, Susan and I have decided that I will not be a candidate for the Presidency of the United States in 2024,” Pompeo said in a video message posted on social media.
“This decision is deeply personal, and ultimately we concluded that the time is just not right.”
“Throughout each phase of my public service — as a soldier, a member of Congress, and later as your CIA director and Secretary of State — I have been fortunate to have the opportunity to promote America in ways that fit the time and the moment.
Pompeo, a Trump supporter who served as Secretary of State from 2018-2021, had been anticipated to join the race within the next few months.
In an exclusive J.L. Partners survey shared with The Post last week, Pompeo received only 3% support from Republican Iowa voters in a six-person GOP field. Former President Donald Trump led with 41%, followed by Florida Governor Ron DeSantis at 26%.
Pompeo also trailed former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley, who had 5% and tied with former Vice President Mike Pence. Businessman Vivek Ramaswamy and Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin each obtained 1%.
Instead of participating in the presidential race, Pompeo said he and his wife would continue to serve as parents, Sunday school teachers, and community leaders.
He expressed gratitude to his campaign exploratory team for giving him “the space to seriously consider seeking the Presidency and a real chance to earn the votes of Americans and to have had the chance to win.”
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS ITEM FROM REAL NEWS NOW.