(GoRealNewsNow.com) – FBI Director Christopher Wray is in danger of being charged with Contempt of Congress for refusing to release a document claiming Joe Biden was involved in a large-scale bribery scheme.
US Rep. James Comer (R-KY), the House Oversight Committee chairman, announced at a press conference on Monday that he would initiate the contempt procedure against Wray after Wray didn’t comply with his subpoena for the FBI file.
The FD-1023 informant document reportedly contains claims that while he was Barack Obama’s vice president, Joe Biden was paid $5 million bribery by a foreign national to change US policy decisions.
The Republican chairman of the House Oversight Committee subpoenaed the unclassified Biden file in early May, but the FBI leadership has defied the subpoena.
Comer’s announcement about launching a congressional contempt procedure against Wray came after he reviewed the Biden document at the FBI headquarters earlier on Monday.
Comer and Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD), the committee’s ranking member, were allowed to view the file and take notes but not to take possession of it.
“At the briefing, the FBI again refused to hand over the unclassified record to the custody of the House Oversight Committee. And we will now initiate contempt of Congress hearings this Thursday,” Comer said, as cited by The National Review.
“Given the severity and complexity of the allegations contained within this record, Congress must investigate further. The investigation is not dead. This is only the beginning,” the Kentucky Republican stated.
He added viewing the FBI file in a “controlled” setting didn’t fulfill the subpoena he issued weeks ago as head of the House Oversight Committee.
Comer emphasized the whistleblower document “has not been disproven and is currently being used in an ongoing investigation” by the FBI.
Raskin, however, argued the file wasn’t enough for the agency to escalate its probe into Biden.
“What we’re talking about here is a confidential human source reporting a conversation with someone else. So we’re talking about is secondhand hearsay. And they did whatever investigative due diligence was called for in that assessment period, and they found no reason to escalate it from an assessment to a so-called preliminary investigation,” Raskin said.
— National Review (@NRO) June 5, 2023